Translate

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Y todos me miran..

Wherever I walk, I'm stared at. I could walk to the University, to the store, to my class, and I get stares all the while. And until today, it bothered me. I just wanted to go up to them and say, "We're all humans! I'm no different than you are! We have the same emotions- and if we pinch each other, we'll  both feel the same thing!" But I never do.

Today I realized why they look at me. It's because there aren't that many people like me around here. And when I say "people like me," I mean female, Caucasian, and from the United States. I stick out like a sore thumb with my highlights and face structure. For the past few weeks, I'd been wondering what the people who have lived here all their lives think of me.. the ones who stare at me in the street. But now I understand, I'm just different.

Anyone can understand how it is to be around someone different. You don't know the person. You don't know if you'll have anything in common, or if they'll understand your jokes. You don't quite know how to start a conversation, or how they'll react if you do. So you just look. And the moment passes. Tomorrow, I will not let that moment pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment